Student Centric. Regionally Accredited. Nonprofit.
About NCU’s Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is focused on training highly skilled counselors to provide impactful and culturally sensitive mental health services in their communities.
The program is designed to provide both the theoretical and practical knowledge needed to operate in a variety of professional counseling settings and to provide services for individual clients and groups from diverse backgrounds.
Our curriculum provides an in-depth exploration of counseling theories, ethical and legal standards, and evidence-based approaches of diagnosis and treatment. Throughout the program students will examine issues related to social justice and advocacy for client accessibility and equity. Students will also explore avenues for advancing the counseling profession.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Interpret ethical and legal standards within professional counselors' roles and functions.
- Examine advocacy and social justice theories of social, cultural diversity in counseling.
- Apply models of human growth and development in the practice of counseling.
- Apply theories and models of career development.
- Demonstrate essential foundational counseling skills.
- Employ group work principles in practice of group counseling.
- Select appropriate assessment and testing roles for use in counseling practice.
- Implement program evaluation and evidence-based practice using relevant scholarly work and research methods
- Demonstrate the practice dimensions of clinical mental health counseling.
The things that make us different...also make us better.
- One-To-One Learning Model: At Northcentral University, your classroom size is ONE. In other words, Northcentral's programs provide you with the opportunity to partner with a member of our 100% doctoral faculty in each of your courses.
- 100% Doctoral Faculty: Northcentral University maintains 100% doctoral faculty, most of whom have completed their program of study at a regionally accredited institution of higher education in the discipline in which they teach or develop curricula.
- Accreditation: Northcentral University is regionally accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Certain NCU programs have also received programmatic accreditation from other accrediting bodies, including ACBSP and COAMFTE.
- Unique Flexibility: You shouldn't have to put your education on hold, at Northcentral University we offer weekly course starts to fit your schedule. With no need to wait for the start of a semester, you can start your educational journey as soon as you're ready. Northcentral University also has no physical residency requirements, which makes us a great fit for working professionals, as well as for military personnel and international students who do not have to relocate or spend money to travel to a campus to complete the online degree.